Wednesday, May 23, 2018

How do you do it?



"How do you do it? "How come you have so much money?". "Wow, you get long holidays". Your boss is so nice". "You must be sucking up to your boss to have holidays!"."You have all the time in the world". "You are blessed that you have no commitments!" Blah..blah..blah...Those are common questions and statements thrown at me. Countless times. Usually I just shrug my shoulders, wink, smile and say "Just like that!". Let them ponder and come out with more theories! I just love those scandalous thoughts they have. Let it be :)

Normally I don't bother explaining. I don't like unnecessary long conversations that digs deep into my personal life. Secondly, I cannot rationalize my point of views to them. It will be difficult for them to see what I see. People see what they want to see. People hear what they what to hear. They decipher what they want to according to their bandwidth.

So how did I managed to TRAVEL when most of my friends are facing their PC 24/7? Lifestyle and priority! That makes a difference. Huge lot of difference.

I have very little materialistic obsession. Therefore, I have very limited possessions ;) Therefore I have very little worry of what I have ;)  In fact these days, I am becoming a minimalist. Ok, that is going to be my next blog topic.

Major difference between them and me, I am a traveler not a tourist! I don't drag baggage. Instead I carry a backpack. While people flash their new cars and bigger houses, I maintain my first car and a small home. No tour packages for me instead I do my own research of those places and I move on my own. Usually with very minimum guidance. I take public transports, experience the countryside, hillside, terrains. Bumpy rides and crazy nauseating rides. I had puked all the way up and down the hills. I had hitchhiked on bikes. Crazy.

I seek adventure in my travel. No fancy big hotels but equally safe and cosy bed and breakfast rooms. That opens up opportunity for me to mingle with other backpackers. My travel cost is reduced when we share our transportation and accommodation while heading to the same destination.

No big restaurants all the time. I try local street food but of course hygiene is a factor. There is no way I can control that but I can choose to eat in simple, hygienic stalls. Get the local flavor. At times, I bring some basic, quick fix dry food from home. Bread, butter and cheese slices. My all time quick fix.

Traveler vs tourist. Even this they will find it difficult to perceive. Those are two different things. I travel on budget. I mingle, learn and go hands on when I travel. I travel to acquire knowledge and experience! I don't travel just to get my passport stamped - hey, I have been here! NO! I travel to rejuvenate my soul. I leave bits of myself everywhere I go. In return, I come home with bits from those places.

I get my tickets whenever there is major sales. Then I plan the rest. Most times I work backwards. Lol. Meaning, I don't determine the destination first. I grab whatever cheap ticket that is available on sale, then I work on the route and itinerary. Voila!

Mostly I ended up traveling to countries with lower currency than RM. They are affordable and I could spend quite comfortably. Most Asian countries are very affordable.

Another rule, no extensive shopping and souvenir purchase. Usually only fridge buttons as memoirs, only for ME. :)

People, instead of wondering, complaining and comparing, should do a little research about traveling. Read more about places. Then you will understand and find ways to travel.

Many pages in my passport are awaiting to be stamped still. I am still exploring, a small time traveler. I would love to see Europe! My wishlist includes Trans-Siberian Railway journey. Plenty to see. So little time.

Having said it all, I am still the girl next door whom enjoys some luxuries for herself. Occasionally I do pamper myself - spa, mani-pedi, eating out, friends, hangouts, cosmetics, perfumes, accessories. lol. What all not. After all, I am still that stylish working woman! Or rather I try to be one. Lol! Again, this will be another topic to blog ;)

All I can say is, it is a big and beautiful world out there. Take some time off your routine. Breath fresh air. Experience new places. Lets not hoard materials, instead lets collect memories and experiences. We live only once. Lets make the most out of it.  Don't sit on your favourite couch and rot there ;)

ps 1: Songs like this always inspire me to travel more. 
ps 2: Thank you so much for inspiring me to write again R! Truly appreciate it :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your chocolates here :